Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Is Being a Parent Hard Work?

Yesterday on the way home from tumbling my oldest asked me "Momma, is being a parent hard work?". I of course told her that it was. But then she said "But you wouldn't trade it for anything right?" I was blown away by this. Of course I wouldn't trade being a parent for anything.

When I first became a momma over 11 years ago my life forever changed. It was no longer about me but about this little being that had come into my world. I was humbled and am still humbled everyday that God has blessed me with my children.There is nothing that brings more joy to my heart and life on this earth than to see and hear my children every day. To get that hug and kiss each morning and to hear them tell you "I love you" - oh how my heart melts. That part is easy.

Then comes the part of parenthood that is hard. You know the times that I am talking about - the discipline part, the heartaches they go through, and most of the the time that we have to let them go and be their own person. To me I believe that last one will be the hardest one of all. The day that they leave the nest and fly on their own. I will probably, no I will definitely cry when that times comes. I remember my daddy always hated the end of summer which meant I had to go back to college. I always thought it was sweet and knew it was hard on him, but never until I had kids of my own did I fully understand how he felt.

Yes being a parent is hard work, but the award far out weighs the work.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the sweetest. And yes parenting is hard but so rewarding. Ryann came up to me the other day, kissed my back and then gave me a hug, I died of the cute!

Melissa said...

It's always those little things like that to keep me going on a very stressful day. Despite all the hard times being a mom is my favorite job.