Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Thankful on a Thursday - True Thankfulness

Thankful. We write or try to write posts about it every Thursday, but have we ever really sat down and thought about what that word means. It means
grateful: feeling or showing gratitude

We often say how thankful we are of this and that, but are we just saying that out of habit? Do we really mean it? I know a lot of times I say that I am thankful for something but really don't mean it. I believe we have forgotten what it means to be truly thankful. Today on Twitter I read the following and it pretty much sums up why we forget to be truly thankful
I am convinced we get burned out not because we do it, but because we forget WHY we do it.

This got me to thinking about how we can become ungrateful and not have true thankfulness. We forget WHY we should be thankful. We forget or take for granted WHAT we should be thankful for. I have to shamefully admit that I at times fall in this category. I look around me and only see the negative. I forget WHY I should be thankful and WHAT I should be thankful for. I forget when things are good that I should be thankful for the sacrifice my Lord made for me and the free gift of salvation that He gave me even though I don't deserve it.I should be thankful at all times that my Lord is always there for me and will never leave me. I should be thankful that I have a roof over my head and a nice house even if we are packed in here and out of room. I should be thankful for all those things that I just get tired of doing over and over again because it means i have the health and the ability to do these things. I should be truly grateful for every moment I have with my kids, husband and family.

So today, at this moment, I want to be thankful for all that God has blessed me with. I am not talking about the material things of this world that money buys. No I am talking about those things in our lives that can't be replaced - our children, spouses, family. So many times we go through this life with good intentions but end up taking the most precious things around us for granted. We think they will always be here but that's not always the case. In a blink of an eye everything we hold precious can be taken from us. Don't take one moment for granted, be content with what you have, love God with all your heart - these things I believe are the keys to being truly thankful.

What are you thankful today?

No comments: