Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What we can rely on

Every night the kids and I read a short devotion to help them grow spiritually. Last week we started on a section titled "Relying on God". When I started this with the kids, I wasn't expecting the lesson that I would get. Last night the verses talked about God holding our right hand and to not be afraid. Tonight the passage was from Psalm 146: 3, 5-6, 10
Don't trust the leaders of the land to save you.
They are only people...
But good things come to people
who let God be their helper..
He always keeps his promises...
God is King forever.
Cheer for God!

When I read this tonight to the kids I was blown away. What a fitting passage for today with the election going on. As I read the devotional it talked of how we rely on things and people, but we need to remember that these things and people will let us down at times. But no matter what happens, He always loves us. And sooner or later, everything will turn out all right. As I listen tonight to all the talk and see the results, it is comforting to know that even though we don't know what will come tomorrow, God does. So tomorrow morning when my kids wake and are worried that McCain didn't win, I will simply remind them and myself of the lesson that we learned tonight.

Today as I stood in line with my kids to vote, I felt a sense of pride. So many people, some first time voters, turned out in record numbers to let their voice be heard.

No comments: