Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thankful on a Thursday - Life Happen

Today was one of those days. Things have been piling up all week - work, kids, activities - basically life happened. One of those weeks when projects at work kept piling up with no end in sight, book reports due, schedules to keep, things to do. And it all came crashing down on me this afternoon as I sat at my desk working. I felt defeated, overwhelmed. Tears began to flow. No one around me - just me and my God.

As I began to dwell on all the things that needed to be done - house was a wreck, book reports due, open house at school, football practice, supper, finding someone to keep the babies for the next couple of days - it felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulder.How was a possibly going to get everything done. Then it happen, like God was telling me that all these things I was focusing on were temporal. There was more to life. I heard the sounds of the twins playing in the den and the older two coming in the house. The laughter filled the house as the babies saw them coming home from school. That is what life was about outside of my relationship with Christ - my family. My husband and my kids were so much more important than everything that had to be done around here.

Sure we need to get the house ready to put on the market but what's another couple of weeks if that means that I get to spend an afternoon playing with my kids or spending time with my husband. When they are older they won't remember if the house was super clean - they will remember the time I spent with them and that they were loved.

So today I am thankful for those little reminders that there is more to life than our to do lists. Sometimes we need to put those to do lists off to the side and enjoy life.

What are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Great post. Sometimes we all need those reminders that there is so much more to living than making sure we get everything on our to-do list done. At the end of the day, the to-do list didn't really matter, right?

Melissa said...

That is so true. I get so caught up with what I have to do especially trying to keep up with my job, husband and four kids that I tend to overlook what is really important.