Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thankful on a Thursday - My Daddy

Over the last few days I have seen several posts on Twitter about people's dads. Posts about their dad's cracking corny jokes, sending them text message to tell them that they are loved, coming to visit them and on and on. I smile when I see these and pray that these sons/daughters will not take these moments for granted. I am so thankful that I didn't.

I am thankful that I had a Daddy that loved my sister, mom, grandkids, his Lord and me like he did. If he knew how to text, he would have sent us several throughout the day. He sent at least 15 emails a day and would ask if we read them. He would call when the weather was bad or he heard about a wreck to tell us to be careful. I miss those calls and emails. I miss him coming to my house and looking for candy because since he was a diabetic my momma wouldn't let him have very much of it in the house. I miss him period.

It was 7 months ago today that we were spending our last moments with him. Still praying for a miracle but knowing that God was calling him home. There are times I wish I could hear his voice just one more time. The other night, I had a dream and he was there. It was like having him back - I hear his voice and his contagious laugh. When I woke I was crying, just as I am now writing this. Yet I am thankful that one day I will see him again.

So if your Daddy is still here, call him today to just say hey and that you love him. Thank him (and your mom) for all the things that he has done for you throughout the years. Enjoy those annoying emails, corny jokes, silly text messages and let him spoil his grandkids. Love him and your mom like there's no tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mary Rose said...

This post made me cry. Thinking of you and the family. Hugs.

Melissa said...

Thank you