Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

A Special Thanks on a Hard Day

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and prayers for my family today. My daddy was one of those people that you met and you walked away with a smile on your face. I never knew how many lives my daddy had touched until he passed away. We probably saw over 400 people at visitation and the church was just about full at his funeral. I wanted to share with you some of the things that people said about him today on his birthday. It just goes to show the type of man he was.

"Happy Birthday! I know it's a hard day for y'all, but just think of the glorious party he's having today. Bet the first birthday in heaven is pretty awesome! Thinking of your family and praying for y'all today...."

"I always remember your dad having that sweet smile on his face. Praying you'll find comfort in the wonderful memories of him.

"saying a prayer for you, he such a warm hearted man."

"Your dad was an awesome man!!"

"I loved your dad. You guys are in our hearts today.""

"you and your sister were so Blessed to have one of the finest Christian men we know, for a "father" - Remembering your dad with Precious Memories, and the "Legacy" he left upon his family ....""

"You were very blessed to have such a wonderful father and such a wonderful legacy to pass down to your children.  I can't imagine how much you miss him, especially on days like today.  I have so many memories of your whole family growing up next door.  He was like my 2nd dad growing up.  It makes my heart smile to think of those old times.  Priceless memories!!!!"

But when he passed away there was something said about my daddy that just blew me away. I received this email from a friend that I had worked with many years ago at my first job out of college. Daddy would come to the office and have lunch with me. And when he came by he always had to talk to everyone or invite people to come with us. This is what my friend wrote:

I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am for your loss today and for the grief I know you are feeling, but I am thankful for the comfort that you have in knowing your Dad is in a much better place and that we will all get to see him again one day.

I only met him a few times and I know we used to tease you about your "Diddy" back in the DTS days, but I wanted you to know that since my little girl was born, I have thought of the two of you many times.  Even as little as I knew him, he was an inspiration to me to be the kind of father to my daughter that I believe he was to you.  I can only hope that when I leave this world, my daughter will still think of me as her hero.  I hope that I can give her the kind of spiritual foundation, strength, and confidence that your daddy gave you.  His was a life well spent.

Be well and know that you & your family are in my prayers.

This one email that I got back in February spoke volumes to be to the impression that my daddy made on the lives of others and me. My daddy was the finest man I have ever known. He touched so many lives and I am so thankful that I can proudly say that he was my daddy.

No comments: