Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thankful on a Thursday - A Simple Piece of Furniture

It's been a while since we had a week with hardly anything going on. Usually it's a practice or we have to run to or some other event at school. But this week we have been able to slow down. The hubs didn't have to close so it was all six of us at home.

Tonight as he was finishing up the ribs on the grill, I had the older two turn the TV off because they were more interested in it than they were listening to me. You would have thought I had destroyed their world when I made them do that. Then without them realizing it, they completely forgot about that show they were watching and started to have fun with the family.

It was so nice to sit around the table and just talk. We do this as much as we can because I believe it's so important for a family to do. Around the table, the kids open up about what's going on and we get to talk to them about important issues too. I believe it's around the dinner table that a family really connects. After dinner we played Sorry while the twins played in the floor. I didn't want tonight to end - didn't want bedtime to come do quickly. I wanted to soak all this in while they are young. The days are passing by so quickly.

Tonight I am thankful for a simple piece of furniture that serves as a place to create memories. I look forward to many more nights like we had tonight to come. I know as a child I have so many memories of spending time with my family around the dinner table, whether it was eating, playing games or cards, doing puzzles or whatever it was some of my most treasured time with my parents. When my kids grow up, I want them to have the same memories and know that they were loved.

What are you thankful for today?


1 comment:

McMel said...

i had to come by and say "hi" b\c i saw your name on your entry @ mom-nom. you're melissa mc and i'm mc mel. cute!