Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Gymnastics State Meet


Yesterday Mag had a meet in Tuscaloosa. It was the 2008 Alabama State Compulsory Championships. In the meet they split the girls into their levels and then in groups based on their ages. There were 10 girls in her age group. She had a awesome meet. The first event was the vault and we did pretty good on it with a 8.650. We have done better but vault is definitely not our strong point.
Next we moved onto bars. She was so nervous - one of her coaches was getting her to take deep breaths and relax. On the bars she got a 8.9 and finished in 2nd place with a silver medal.
The next event was the beam. She has been working really hard on her beam routine lately and you could tell. She got up there and did the best routine I have ever seen her do. She got a 9.325 which gave her second place and I was so excited. I was really have to keep myself calm after that routine. The other two girls from our team that were competing at the same time Mags was got 9.3's too - they all did great. They finished 2nd and 3rd for the beam for their age group - the other two girls were in a different age group than Mags was.
The last even was the floor, which Mags loves. She was doing great during her routine and then mis-stepped on one of the moves and so she got a 9.025 which was still great. I was so proud of her.
While all of this was going on, we were keeping up with all the scores for the girls in Mag's age group - yes I was being one of those moms. We started adding up the scores and began to realize that she was leading the All-Around. I didn't want to get too excited because there were a couple of girls still left to compete. But once they finished and we added up their scores, we knew that she had won the All Around - State Champ! They started awards and she was excited about the 2 silver (beam, bars) and 1 bronze (floor) she had gotten, but she was grinning from ear to ear when she came out with the gold medal for the All Around. I will post pictures soon to my Flickr page, but the pictures at the awards were a little blurry. I was so excited that I could not quit shaking. JC was not there since he was at home with his daddy, but he was sending me text messages and telling me "Pull yourself together woman!! Composure!!"
I was so proud of her. I had prayed on the way to the meet and asked God to give her a good meet since she was starting to get a little discouraged. But like always, He gave me more than I could had ever asked for. I don't know why we tend to put God in a box and only expect a little bit when He has so much to give to us.

No comments: