Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Dedication Sunday

This past Sunday, our church dedicated the new gym and other facilities.  It is an exciting time for our church. The pastor spoke about the investment made by others so that the next generation would know about Jesus.  At the end of the service, the pastor thanked everyone who had played  a part in the planning and building of the facilities.  And then he called my Mama and family up to the front.

See many of you don't know but my daddy was over the building and grounds for years.  He never asked for a dime or any pat on the back for he considered it his service to the Lord.  He worked countless hours doing things from changing out light bulbs to making sure that big projects were done and done right.  No telling how many times I have called him only for him to tell me that he would have to call me back because he was down at the church working. My daddy made an investment.  He wanted to be sure that there would be a nice building and area for people to come and worship - a place his family would come to praise God. As the sermon said "God doesn't want a bunch of talent people, He wants available people" and that was my daddy.  He was jack of all trades who could fix about anything.  Talented yes (at least in the area of handyman, singing now that is a story for another time) - available, absolutely. Without a doubt, my daddy was always available when they needed him.

As we made our way down to the front of the church, the tears that I had been holding back could not longer be contained. I missed sharing this special day with him.  Our pastor spoke about the things that my daddy did and how he worked diligently. He ended by presenting my Mama with a keepsake to show the church's appreciation for all that my daddy had done.



My heart filled with pride as I was so proud and honor to be the daughter of such a great man. It was a testament of the life that my daddy lived. A life lived for His Lord and dedicated to his family. The writing said



The verse was so fitting for him.  He was steadfast, immovable, and always working for the Lord. He was so excited about the new gym and the ministry opportunities that were ahead for our church.  But the Lord decided to take him home before he could see it.  But in my heart I know he can see it.  And unlike us, he sees what great and wonderful things God is going to do through our church thanks to people like my daddy.

Anyone can be a father, but it takes a special man to be a daddy. And my sister and I were blessed to have that special man in our lives. I love you Diddy.

No comments: