Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Special Anniversary

Today 49 years ago, my parents were married. This is a special anniversary because it is the first one my Mama is celebrating without Daddy. Tonight we had her over for dinner and it was nice visiting and enjoying the night with her.

They met in November of 1960. After dating for only a few months got engaged and were married June 30, 1961. It was love at first sight. A few weeks after celebrating their first anniversary they welcomed my sister to the world. It was 9 years later before I came along.

Through out their 49 years of marriage, there was never any doubt that they loved each other. They always showed me what unconditional love and true commitment was. Sadly these days, that type of marriage is hard to find sometimes. They had their ups and downs in life - cancer, heart surgery, near fatal car accident, raising two daughters, and welcoming 6 grandkids to the family. But even through the rough times, their commitment to each other never wavered. I believe that it only made that commitment stronger. Divorce was never an option.

As my daddy was leaving this world for his Heavenly home, I saw that love carry my Mama through that valley. I never knew how much he did for all of us until he was gone. He spoiled Mama, my sister, and me with not only the things he did but with his love.

So happy anniversary to the best parents in the world. I am so blessed to have had such a great model of what a marriage is supposed to be.

No comments: